Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Our Crazy Nurse Story

When I was preggers with Isla I was considered a high-risk pregnancy, so any time I felt strong contractions I would go in... precaution, right?
Well... Went in this one afternoon and was seen by (what seemed at first) a nice nurse. The place was empty. The nurses were sitting behind the desk... chatting. She brought us into a triage room and I put on the gown. She put on the monitor and said she would be back in a couple of minutes to see if it was working correctly and to bring me some water that I requested.
Well... we waited. And waited. And waited. Finally ONE HOUR LATER she came back (no water). I was feeling strong contractions - but they weren't coming up on the monitor! It wasn't even reading it properly! 
She readjusted it and said "Oh it looks like you are due for your Group B Strep test. Wanna get that taken care of?" We said "sure." 
So she lifts the gown to do the test, sticks the swab in there and OUCH! She jabbed me! Almost seemed purposeful! She said, yet again, that she'd be back in a couple more minutes...
Guess what?! 50 MINUTES LATER  we were wondering where the heck she was! I had to pee, so I got up, took off my monitor and looked out in the hall. At this time I can hear MY triage alarm going off. Waiting for someone to come by... NOTHING.
Finally I said screw it. The contractions had subsided, so I went to the bathroom, put my clothes on, and walked down the hall to the nurses station.
The nurse got all defensive... making up excuses for why we were waiting for 2 hours....
The following Tuesday I saw my midwife. She says, "Ok today we are to do the GroupB Strep test." I said "We did it on Saturday when we came in." There was NO RECORD of us getting the test done or even COMING IN! The nurse tried to hide it!
At that point I told her everything the nurse had done, including hurting me while taking the sample. It was bleeding after that, btw. My midwife said that its not supposed to hurt.
Anyway... summing it up... Nurse was crazy and tried to cover it up... which made it worse. My midwife said she was going to do something about it. Well... guess who I had the NEXT time I came in........ Yeah, you got it!

No comments:

Post a Comment